Sunday, July 22, 2007

Landmarks

This weekend I biked a hilly 58 miles on Saturday, then went to DL on Sunday and rode the hilly tri course there for the first time this year. In some ways, it's the closest thing I have to a baseline for measuring progress. I was happy that I was able to ride all of the hills that have vexed me there before, even after Witte Road and Garfoot and Mineral Point and Old Sauk yesterday. Upon reflection, I realize that it's actually been awhile since I have gotten off the bike on a hill...even when Mo and I did repeats on Witte Road after riding the IM course that far in the 100 degree heat a couple of weeks back. Maybe the last hill-walking was in May. Not that it's easy yet, but it appears that progress is being made. Today I rode with a couple of guys who are stronger, a woman at about my place, and two women who are just getting started. It was gratifying that the strongest man---who is really strong-- commented on the difficulty of those hills, and was clearly working himself to handle them. The beginner women walked the spots I walked last year, but cheered me for cresting the hills on DL in both directions---they knew this was a first for me. They have signed up for the DL Challenge, and I won't be surprised if we're all climbing together in September. It was fun to show them the course. I am happy with my riding at a little tri I did on July 4, mostly flat, with a few manageable hills, and it was sweet that I have a medal to show I was there---I averaged 18.3, shy of my 19.0 goal a bit, but know that was about strategy and not about capacity, on the flats. Still, making it up the mile-high climb today, followed by the rest of it, including Grand Finale Hill, feels like the greater achievement. No medal, but my quads are thanking me, and it feels good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home