Tuesday, August 29, 2006

It Takes a Village

How do I get so lucky?

I know people who say triathlon ruins your social life, but for me it's been the opposite---my social life has gotten even richer in the process. Over and over, people step up to offer encouragement, support, love, expertise, and kindness. Yesterday at the pool, an Ironman acquaintance happened by and watched me swim a bit and offered pointers; another long-time acquaintance gave me props for how fit I'm looking and promptly tried to recruit me into a week-long charity bike trip; today, I recieved another three-week plan from Ironwoman-to-be M, and a voicemail from Patti asking what she could do as I wind down to Devil's Lake: massage? dinner? what supportive acts do novice tri-athletes need? It would seem that the universe is giving it all to me, already (except, perhaps for sleep). I didn't expect working toward this goal to enrich my life in these ways, and am delighted by this abundance of encouragement and support. This could be such a lonely thing without it---doable, but far less fun.

Yesterday I swam a nice quarter mile and then some, followed by a three mile treadmill run---two miles at a 10 minute mile pace and one at a 9:30 pace, then worked late into the night. Today, I'm sore in several sites of historical injury and maybe a spot or two with potential for a new sprain or strain. I swam tonight in a 50 meter pool, nontheless, and then worked some more---no second work out, though, thinking catching up on sleep is a priority in order to engage full steam ahead with the new workout plan tomorrow. Liminal periods---the moments before a transition in status--are always tricky, fraught with the potential for things to go wacky. I know I need to be vigilent now---not get lazy or discouraged and not injure myself by pushing beyond reason. Perhaps this is the art of the thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home